Monday, October 15, 2012

Lloyd F. Bitzer - Rhetorical Situations

This is probably one of the more interesting pieces we have read in my class.  I think Bitzer is spot on in the opening of this piece.  If someone asked me about a rhetorical situation, or asked how to define it, I would have had no clue at all.  Being new to a field where discourse is not a set in stone style and method, but rather can change by time, place, event and audience, I still do not quite understand rhetoric fully.  I find it interesting how the way it is defined, it is completely dependent on the situation, and you are probably never going to have the same rhetorical situation twice.  A great example that Bitzer uses a few times is the assassination of J.F.K.. Is it likely that some day a president of the United States will be assassinated in the same place, when the same demographic of people love him, when the world stage is set as it was then? Probably not.

The situation is unique and brings up a specific discourse. There is a required fitting response.  The situation "Prescribes" the response. The exigences are real. And rhetorical situation are organized.  These are the basics of how Bitzer defines a rhetorical situation.  It makes you realize that you may be put in several rhetorical situations everyday.  I believe I could even label this blog post as a response a rhetorical situation in which I was given the task of writing a response.  Although it is missing any significant exigences.  I think to completely understand what a rhetorical situation is you need to be constantly looking for them.  Recognizing them and responding to them.

I also found this nice easy to read summary of the piece here.

Bitzer - Rhetorical Situation

No comments:

Post a Comment