Thursday, September 20, 2012

"The medium is the MASSAGE, An inventory of effects"

So it may be that it is too late, it may be that this is just way above me, but this book by Marshall McLuhan was like nothing I've read before.  I can say that with certainty.  I found myself getting distracted with each turn of the page, and what ever I just read on the last page was kicked out with the large amounts of sensory input.  I found myself particularly drawn to a page in which the text was written on it mirrored, so to read it you had to either be incredibly skilled at reading backwards, or have a mirror.  After trying at the latter  for a couple minutes i realized i had a mirror available.  I couldn't tell you what it said unless I had the book right in front of me. 

"Compartmentalization of occupations and interests bring about a separation of that mode of activity commonly called 'practice' from insight, of imagination from executive, 'doing'.  Each of these activities is then assigned its own place in which it must abide.  Those who write the anatomy of experience then suppose that these divisions inhere in the very constitution of human nature." - John Dewey.

Honestly I am not sure why this needed to be mirrored, it is already rather thought provoking.  As far as I can understand, Man compartmentalizes imagination and procedure, and then believes that this compartmentalization is human nature. 

At this point I'm not really sure what is going on in this book, and if there is or is not supposed to be connections between the images and the text which is delivered via those images.  It makes you think in ways that our society (At least mine) has not trained us to.  Images that will bring about various emotional combinations that have never been active.

No comments:

Post a Comment